Small group discussions on BIG topics.
One of my favorite ways to prepare before going into a jam was to sit in the hot tub. You know, that circle of chairs at the end of the bench that houses the next line of blockers and the on-deck jammer.
The hot tub was often a make-or-break for me and my teammates.
If we didn't put our heads together in the hot tub and make a plan for success out on the track, we often didn't plan together as well as we wanted to or execute the game strategy we were aiming for. The hot tub allowed us to:
Get on the same page.
Figure out our own individual goals.
Know what to expect when we hit the track.
Start working together before our jam began.
And touch base with each other as a community.
Imagine if you could ask questions on specific topics and get answers tailored to you. Imagine if you could sit in the “hot tub” with skaters from different leagues. Wouldn’t that be awesome?
Monthly group discussions with me (Prime of Iron Octopus Fitness) and other members of the #RollerDerby community where we talk about BIG topics relevant to your training and sports performance.
A typical strategy session starts with quick introductions so we can get to know everyone on the call and put faces to names. Then we'll dive into the basics of the monthly topic. This allows us all to be basing our questions and discussion on the same foundation of knowledge.
Just like a team, it helps if we're all starting from a common place!
That will lead us into the actual strategy session where hot tubbers can ask questions specific to them, make connections with other skaters in the same boat, and walk away with concrete plans for making strides toward their goals.
Anyone that wants a strategy session ON THE CALL is welcome to participate. And folks that just want to sit back and learn or make connections across leagues and time zones are welcome as well.
THE GOAL IS TO HELP YOU FEEL LESS ALONE WHEREVER YOU ARE.
And give you ideas on how to move forward if you're feeling stuck or lost or confused or just plain unmotivated.
Roller derby is a huge community of amazing folks that know so many things and it's time we tap into the collective.
Tentative dates for current workshops are as follows:
SPOTS CLOSED for March
TUE April 7 @ 5pm PT
TUE May 11 @ 5pm PT
WHAT YOU GET:
• 20-30 minutes of coaching on the specific topic of the month.
• Notes pages and any extras related to each monthly topic. (ex: sample training plans, energy audits, journal prompts)
• A longer Q&A session for you to ask your questions in person and get customized coaching from Prime.
• The workshop recording delivered to your inbox after the fact.
• A chance to make connections across leagues and build a bigger, stronger roller derby community.
WHO THE HECK ARE YOU?
I spent years messing around with my own training and experimenting on every skater that would agree to act as my guinea pig. In fact, I wound up in school because I LOVED learning all of this stuff.
Iron Octopus Fitness was born out of this desire that anyone that wanted to be “athletic” could. That everyone should have access to this amazing sport that has done so much for me.
Once I started Iron Octopus Fitness, I began looking at the larger community of roller derby and actively becoming a part of it: sharing my story and hearing the stories of other skaters. And joining into that community made my own skating that much better.
It also makes roller derby that much better.
The Hot Tub Strategy Sessions were built out of this idea that I have a lot to share as a coach but I also want to facilitate conversation between skaters, leagues, and countries. We all love roller derby and we so often have the same struggles.
YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
So let's put our head together and strategize.
WHO IS IT FOR?
• You have questions on the topics above. And you want them answered. It's so much quicker and easier for me to answer your question face-to-face than via email or DM.
• You want to start building community. Seeing other skaters face-to-face and listening to and learning from their struggles as well as sharing your own.
• You like to lurk. You don't HAVE TO participate in the workshops. You can just sit back and watch and learn. But don't be surprised if you decide to jump in.
• You love Prime. Because, let's face it, there's going to be a lot of Prime.
• You're just not interested in any of the topics on offer. That's okay! More topics will roll out over time and you might eventually find something that strikes your fancy.
• You're happy with your current community and you don't think you have anything to learn or share from other roller derby athletes.
• You live in a time zone wildly outside of Pacific Time. If you do, you likely won't be able to attend the workshops live unless you stay up all night. If you really want the recording, though, you can still sign up!
• You hate Prime. Because, let's face it, there's going to be a lot of Prime.
"I love every program you write for me and they always help me reach my goals. But having access to you for coaching on form, mindest, EVERYTHING is the best part."